Vegetarian, Gluten free
1 red pepper cut into chunks
1 medium carrot trimmed and cut into chunks
2 tbsp olive oil
sea salt and ground black pepper
2 medium onions peeled and finely chopped
2 sticks of celery and sliced
150g small chestnut mushrooms sliced
75g dried red split lentils
1 large garlic clove crushed
2 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tsp dried oregano
1 vegetable stock cube
1. Preheat oven to 200c fan/gas 7. place the pepper and carrot on a baking tray and drizzle with 1 tbsp of the olive oil. Season and toss. Bake for 15-20mins, or until browned.
2. Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a deep frying pan or shallow flame – proof casserole and gently fry the onions, celery, and mushrooms for 10 min, stirring regularly.
3. Add the tofu, lentils, and garlic, and cook for 2 mins, more stirring.
4. Tip tomatoes in the pan, sprinkle with the oregano and crumble the stock cube over. Add 300ml of water, bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Remove the tray from the oven and transfer the roasted veg to the pan. Return to a gentle simmer, and cook for 15 mins or until sauce is thick, stirring regularly. Adjust and season to taste
300 Calories per serving